18 July 2015
We live a few hundred kilometers from the Earth’s surface, unless some of you are astronauts. There’s a whole planet 6.6 sextillion tons beneath our feet. But how well we know this planet?
We found 10 curious and interesting facts related to the planet Earth and we present them below.
10. The core of the Earth is about as hot as the sun.
9. If you open a tunnel from one side of the Earth to another and jumped in, it would take about 42 minutes to get to the other side.
8. Lightning strikes the earth about 100 times per second, or 8.6 million times a day.
7. The Earth is the only place in our solar system where water can exist in three phases: solid, liquid and gaseous form.
6. The time it takes to reach the sunlight on Earth is 8 minutes and 20 seconds.
5. There are many more living organisms in a teaspoon of soil than people on earth.
4. One third of the land surface is desert.
3. Before trees, the Earth was covered by huge mushrooms.
2. In our galaxy there are probably at least 2 billion planets like Earth.
1. There are about 7500,000,000,000,000,000 grains of sand on Earth.
There are many more interesting items for our planet, but unfortunately we can not add them all to the list.