Hajj stampede: Saudis face growing criticism over deaths

Jamarat-global news-people re-el magazine

25 September 2015

Tags:news, business news financial news, australian news, live news


Iran has led growing criticism of Saudi Arabia after at least 717 people died and 863 were injured in a stampede near the holy city of Mecca on Thursday.

Iran’s Supreme National Security Council accused the Saudis of “incompetence” and urged them to “take responsibility” for the deaths.

Nigeria has dismissed remarks by the Saudi health minister blaming pilgrims for “not following instructions”.

King Salman has ordered a safety review for the Hajj pilgrimage.

In picture: Aftermath of the stampede

During the Hajj, pilgrims throw stones at pillars which represent the devil

The pilgrims must move together through a set of rituals

The crush occurred at 09:00 local time (06:00 GMT) on Thursday as two million pilgrims were taking part in the Hajj’s last major rite with temperatures around 46C.

The pilgrims throw seven stones at pillars called Jamarat, which stand at the place where Satan is believed to have tempted the Prophet Abraham.

Two massive lines of pilgrims converged on each other at right angles at an intersection close to the five-storey Jamarat Bridge in Mina, a large valley about 5km (3 miles) from Mecca.

This is the deadliest incident to occur during the pilgrimage in 25 years.

It is also the second disaster to strike in two weeks, after a crane collapsed at the Grand Mosque in Mecca, killing 109 people.

Why do millions gather in Mecca every year?

‘Mismanagement’

Iran, Saudi Arabia’s regional rival, has reported the greatest number of deaths among foreign nationals – 131- and has reacted with the greatest anger.


On Friday, the spokesman for its Supreme National Security Council, Keyvan Khosravi, told the Isna news agency: “The unavoidable fact is that the Saudi government has been incompetent in this regard and with regard to the management of the Hajj pilgrimage, and Riyadh must accept responsibility for this.”

He was echoing Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who said on Thursday that Saudi “mismanagement and improper actions have caused this catastrophe”.

Iran has declared three days of national mourning.

Alaeddin Boroujerdi, head of an Iranian parliamentary committee for national security, called on other Islamic countries to lodge protests with the Saudis.

Deaths reported so far by nationality

  • Iran: 131
  • India: 14
  • Egypt: 8
  • Pakistan: 6
  • Turkey: 4
  • Indonesia: 3
  • Kenya: 3
  • Other nationalities (numbers not yet known): Niger: Chad

The Saudis have spent billions on improving transport and other infrastructure since the last major Hajj incident nine years ago.

Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayyef, who chairs the Hajj committee, has begun an immediate inquiry into the tragedy, with “fast” results promised.

Offering his condolences to the relatives of the dead, King Salman said: “We have instructed concerned authorities to review the operations plan and to raise the level of organisation and management to ensure that the guests of God perform their rituals in comfort and ease.”

The number of pilgrims was fewer on Friday, AFP reported, and there was more organisation from the authorities at entry points.

Health Minister Khaled al-Falih told el-Ekhbariya television that if pilgrims “had followed instructions, this type of accident could have been avoided”.

One Mecca resident, Fathima Mohamed, told the BBC: “People are to blame. I was in the crowd and most people… are very peaceful. Then you get the young people and the heat is quite unrelenting. People want to do it quickly, they want to finish everything and because of the fact that it would get hot, people were pushing.”

The roads leading to the stoning site at Jamarat

Pilgrims throw stones at pillars at the place where Satan is believed to have tempted Abraham

However, the head of Nigeria’s Hajj delegation, the Emir of Kano Muhammadu Sanusi II, told the BBC the crush “happened on the designated ways for incoming and outgoing pilgrims to the site crossing each other – which shouldn’t be.

“We are therefore urging the Saudi authorities not to apportion blame to the pilgrims for not obeying instructions.”

In addition to the dead, more than 850 people were injured

The UK Foreign Office said it was urgently seeking more information about whether British nationals were involved.

The Hajj is the fifth and final pillar of Islam. It is the journey that every able-bodied adult Muslim must undertake at least once in their lives if they can afford it.

Grey line

Hajj: Previous tragedies

2006: 364 pilgrims die in a crush at foot of Jamarat Bridge in Mina

1997: 340 pilgrims are killed when fire fuelled by high winds sweeps through Mina’s tent city

1994: 270 pilgrims die in a stampede during the stoning ritual

1990: 1,426 pilgrims, mainly Asian, die in a stampede in an overcrowded tunnel leading to holy sites

1987: 402 people die when security forces break up an anti-US demonstration by Iranian pilgrims

Tags:news, business news financial news, australian news, live news

Source

 


 

 

Global News see also….

 

Pope Francis begins tour of the US

23 September 2015

Pope Francis-global news-people re-el magazinePope Francis has begun his tour of the US, where he is expected to greet millions of American Catholics and….read more

 

 


Greece election: Alexis Tsipras hails ‘victory of the people’

21 September 2015

Mr Tsipras-global news-people re-el magazineGreece’s Alexis Tsipras has said his left-wing Syriza party has a “clear mandate” after winning….read more

 

 


Syria conflict: Russia ‘to continue Assad military aid’

15 September 2015

Syrian-global news-people re-el magazineRussian President Vladimir Putin has pledged continued military support for Syria’s Bashar al-Assad….read more

 

 


Australia PM Abbott faces challenge from Turnbull

14 September 2015

Australian PM Tony Abbott is facing a challenge to his leadership from senior cabinet minister Malcolm Turnbull….read more

 

 


Mecca crane collapse: Saudi inquiry into Grand Mosque disaster

12 September 2015

middle-east-global news people re-el magazineSaudi Arabia has begun an investigation into why a crane collapsed in the Muslim holy city of Mecca,….read more

 

 

 


Categories